Saturday, June 20, 2015

June 20




He was showing us his daily routine

One campfire skit was a man getting ready in the morning. His arms belonged to a boy behind a tarp. We were all laughing as cheerios went flying and toothpaste definitely missed the mouth. Then he says, “... and to shave I need-” I screamed a little. There was no way that razor wasn’t going to cut his face with his blind-boy-scout-hands assisting him. In the end… he secretly took the razors out yet I continued nervously roaring with laughter.



This was the games & skills section

Ga-Ga ball

And of course knot tying 

Andrew leading a handstand competition with Troop 2.
They are refuge immigrants from Thailand and Burma who came to Hartford and all joined Boy Scouts together.

The whole Boy Scout Retreat weekend could be summed up by saying we told a lot of stories.
“Tell me a story” two boys gathered around me at lunch.
“So this woman’s brother died four days ago. Jesus walks into her town and she runs up to him crying. She’s devastated and Jesus begins to cry too!” They were listening as if they were hearing it anew. “... I am the resurrection!” One boy giggles with excitement.

I showed them pictures of kids their age from Honduras and told some stories.




Then this dad came to me at least 10 different times saying, “you know another story I like… So there’s this man hiding in a tree, waiting for Jesus…” I can hear the same bible story a hundred times in my life, but when someone wants to talk about it- IT just happens! I need to talk about it. Jesus Christ is the living Word made flesh.
Andrew played music all weekend and this family wanted to accompany him for the Mass.

Fr. Tiano looks a little like Pope Francis!




“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.” Dr. Scott Hahn


Leaving Saturday Mass I saw this man walking in the rain. I’ve seen him for years living in Marlborough, he lives in an open barn, is rather dirty and semi-homeless. This time, unlike Ethan a few weeks ago, Bob agrees to take a ride. When we parked in his yard we started talking about all the social program offices in the town; the Church, town offices, senior center.
Last night at the restaurant a man and his wife gave me $180 on a $40 bill. I gave Bob $50.
“If you come to the church you were just outside next week, there’ll be a bag full of sandwiches.”
“Oh man! But… I might have something else going on. Am I allowed though?”
“Look at me,” I’m covered in dirt all over my clothes, arms, legs and hair, “I just came from Mass (I was tearing up my Uncle’s yard before). I couldn’t change, so I sat in the back. Everyone still shook my hand, they even smiled at me too! The only thing is you should wait to receive Communion until you decide to formally say, ‘I believe this is the body of Christ.’ There’s a great program for that. But ya, nobody judged me.”
“Good! That’s for Him” He looks at the Crucifix hanging from my rear view mirror.
“What about the priest?” Bob said as he starts looking off into space
“I just talked to him for fifteen minutes about all my problems; how my boss is always yelling-” Bob laughs-  “in Confession, so I left pretty clean.” He looks at how dirty his clothes are and mine are and we both laugh.


Then we just sat and listened to music for five or ten minutes. It was raining so we couldn’t see much out the windshield.


“Do you like gum? Here take it, Orbit cleans your teeth while you chew.”
“But what are you gonna chew man!?!”
“I’ll just get some more.”
“No, here, have some with me.” So we broke gum and listened to NEEDTOBREATHE
“Brother I want to give you a hug. We just met and look we’re just chillin listening to music!” So we shook hands some ten times and said “hope to see you Thursday for those sandwiches.”

I went to Confession, then Mass, then listened to music with God for 20min in a homeless man. Try it.


This is Imriel. I love him very much too.




No comments:

Post a Comment