| Rescue mission to fix one of our trucks stuck in the mountains! |
These past two weeks started out with a bang. As the
Missionaries of Charity were leaving a children’s program the sister driving
closed her door on the fingers of the sister sitting in the back seat. The
sister with the smashed fingers cried out and then let her head drop. “‘It is finished’; and he bowed His head and gave
up His Spirit. (John 19:30)”
There have been several mountain missions these past two
weeks. My job has been to stay back and pray for their success; as St. Therese
of the Child Jesus became the patron saint of missions because she accepted her
inability to leave the convent and prayed for missionaries. Besides spending
more time tutoring kids in our scholarship program and cutting a boy’s hair
that had lice (cutting his hair was so much fun! I was very nervous and sweating a lot and kind of
took out a patch in the back… but it ended well…), I am coming to understand
something very important about obedience:
“Have in yourselves the same feeling Christ had towards the
Father. (Philippians 2:5-11)”
| Another beautiful day |
To follow Christ then means to take on, to assume the same
attitude Christ had toward the Father.
Even when the Father permitted Him to be killed, which was an unjust thing, He was obedient, when Christ as a man cried out: “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless not as I wilt but as Thou wilt. (Mt. 26:39)”
Even when the Father permitted Him to be killed, which was an unjust thing, He was obedient, when Christ as a man cried out: “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless not as I wilt but as Thou wilt. (Mt. 26:39)”
So to follow Christ means to share in His same experience,
to follow Christ as Christ obediently followed the Father. Below is incredible
inspiration that Jesus gives us in His example of following and accepting the
will of the Father.
“My Father is working still, and
I am working. (John 5:17)”
“… the Son can do nothing of His
own accord, but only what He sees the Father doing, for whatever He does the
Son does likewise. (John 5:19)”
“The Father judges no one, but
has given all judgment to the Son… he who does not honor the Son does not honor
the Father who sent Him. (John 5:23)”
“I can do nothing on my own
authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek not my
own will but the will of Him who sent me. (John 5:30)
“All that the Father gives me
will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. For I have come
from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me. (John
6:38-9)”
“No one can come to me unless
the Father who sent me draws him. (John 6:44)”
“As the living Father sent me,
and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
(John 6:57)”
“My teaching is not mine, but
His who sent me. (John 7:17)”
“He who speaks on his own
authority seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of Him who sent Him
is true and in Him there is no falsehood. (John 7:18)”
“But I have not come of my own
accord; He who sent me is true, and Him you do know. (John 7:28)”
“I shall be with you a little
longer, and then I go to Him who sent me. (John 7:33)”
“Yet even if I do judge, my
judgment is true, for it is not I alone that judge, but I and He who sent me.
In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true; I bear witness
to myself and the Father who sent me bears witness to me. (John 8:16-18)”
“You know neither me nor my
Father; if you knew me, you would know my Father also. (John 8:19)”
“When you have lifted up the Son
of man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing on my own
authority but speak thus as the Father taught me. (John 8:28)”
“I speak of what I have seen
with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father. (John 8:38)”
“If God were your Father, you
would love me, for I proceeded and came from God. I came not on my own accord,
but He sent me. (John 8:42)”
“I have not a demon; but I honor
my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory, there is one
who seeks it and He will be the judge. Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my
word will never see death. (John 8:50-1)”
“If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that He is your God. (John 8:54)”
Catholics please come home! Going to Mass is the best way to be faithful to Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment