Time helps
relationships grow. In the past two
weeks what we have been sharing here has become deeper and more meaningful.
| The celebrations for independence day have begun! |
| Volunteers helped some kids from Obras Sociales del Santo Hermano Pedro run through the street for a pre-independence day parade |
My Spanish teacher
Silvia and I have been sharing many stories during our six hour days together. One boy she met in the market with her husband after shopping and spending all the
pocket money they had. When the boy asked her for bread, she was moved and wanted
to help. Her husband and her pulled together 16Q in change and bought a
sandwich and a drink. The boy took the food to his friend sitting to the side
and gave him half. The next day Silvia and her husband found a trail of exactly
16Q in change on the sidewalk. Silvia and I are moving closer to Christ by
sharing our experiences with one another.
Eduardo’s
table conversation has become animated with his arm movements to describe Spanish
words. I do not think I will be able to forget “el pato (duck)” or “la grama
(grass)” ever again.
Diego was
sick and stayed home from school for a week, so our games have become more
creative by necessity. Besides learning to throw action hero cards and origami ninja
stars we have built many towers, both from a guided design and out of our
imagination. Diego becomes very excited when we destroy the towers with a
catapult, so he is always willing to invest the time in making the “crash”
bigger.
Nuestra Señora de Fátima. There was a very special
procession through Antigua.
|
Eduardo
shared with me his favorite apostolate; bringing breakfast to the homeless ghettos
outside of town before sunrise on Sundays. A few friars, some guys and their
truck, a family or two and I ride out and try to catch the less fortunate
before they leave their sleeping quarters. There is no shoving, no impatient
waiting in line, just pure humility and gratitude. These families have God in
their hearts.
A very
special part of this time in Antigua has been coming closer to the children in Obras
Sociales. They smell flowers from the
garden and after minutes for some or seconds for others their faces change. The
crying around them stops and they are somewhere else. When the music plays we
dance to it and realize our bodies are living and the chairs they are in can be
an extension of themselves. When they give me their hand and pull me in I pull
them back. I give them a little resistance and they get stronger. When I play
with a ball they laugh and then imitate me and I truly laugh too. Jairo has
started to feed himself and cares more about the achievement than the food or
where it goes on his face. They continue to communicate by holding hands. The nurses have accepted me into their
sisterhood and I’ve been practicing my jokes in Spanish.
With time community
ripens. Holy Communion is Christ ripening inside of me and I have truly been
changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment