Friday, July 11, 2014

Zuni, NM


This past week our staff of three in Zuni, NM hosted eighty people! One concern going into the week was having enough work for them to do. Sometimes the work projects would be pending on certain things until it was time to work, but by the end of each day it was amazing what eighty people can do working to build the Church. I learned that Jesus will always show us a way in His time.




First we continued planting trees in the tough clay. Digging the holes and water trenches reminded me of the novel Holes by Louis Sachar; which I loved when I read it. I saw leaders pushing their bodies through pains and sores to bare the pickax when their teens could not. Young men and women showed me blistered hands but did not want to leave their work groups to sit. Two teens from one group would rotate into the chapel to pray for the others working in the 97 degree heat.


Then there was the local outreach. Each day thirty teens would go door to door asking to learn about the A:shiwi culture. They would introduce themselves, and then listen. Once the host had shared their stories we would invite their children to a local Vacation Bible School we hosted at St. Anthony’s Indian School. Most important we would offer to pray with them. Nearly everyone was very warm and receptive to us!


The Vacation Bible School grew to thirty kids, where only five go to the Church. What trust the community showed us!
We also helped cultivate the local A:shiwi community garden.

Jim has been farming by hand for 57 years. The dead crow keeps away others

We stripped logs for a farm house

To build up the water trough we tilled the ground in long lines.

I think I saw a bunny rabbit. I did! I did! (We released him far from the farm)

The natural spring water was very refreshing

Here is how Jim waters his plants twice per week

In Gallup, NM we repainted a school/ helped cook for another summer bible program for the youth.


The Little Sisters of the Poor welcomed us into their Christ filled retirement home. Every resident expresses themselves in an art, craft or hobby. The natives live with retired priests. Religious sisters are Jesus’ nurses.


Last Sunday I needed to drive into town from our Zuni Indian pueblo. On the drive in there was a well done cantor of the rosary on the radio. On the way back I met Andrew and Rose. For context to the story I have probably never picked up a hitchhiker before, so it was pure grace that led me to stop. Andrew and Rose were walking back from the detox center in Gallup. Rose told me the staff there recommended they started going to church. Well! Jesus was riding in the car with us! They both seemed very eager to share. Rose wanted to know about the Catholic Church, she asked me to pray, asking God to keep their relationship together.
                Andrew lived in Germany when he was younger. Ha! I gave Jesus my German major and He took me to a Navajo veteran who lived in Hamburg and speaks German! Speaking German opened up many stories about traveling. However, the way he spoke of his valley in New Mexico (literally his, I saw no other houses when I dropped him off) told me he was looking for something more in life. They are both in a transition state in their lives after meeting in the detox center. It was awesome to experience Jesus walking with them on their journey home.
                When we give Jesus our five loaves and two fish he does far more than we hoped for. Andrew spoke of his mother living her faith and I said “you know a mother’s kindness through her sons.” He took pride in that! Maybe he was 'returning to the place where he started and seeing it for the first time.'


Before the group of eighty came we went to serve with some Franciscan Friars of the Renewal in Albuquerque. I met a married couple who lived homeless for many years in the city. They raised three kids. One is in the army, one on the streets and one died at eighteen. They knew far more survival techniques than any boy scout put in a city would. There was also a deep humility when the mother described how she would find a place to sleep, find food or pass the time. She was humble about her experiences but dignified in what she expected for her sons and her family. Once the kids were older they moved into an apartment where she and her husband live now. She glowed when she mentioned her sons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment